Finding the Right Fit in International Teaching
January 9, 2017 - February 13, 2017
8:00 am - 5:00 pm
Program Brochure finding-the-right-fit-in-international-teaching
“Teaching overseas is an incredibly exciting personal and professional journey. In overseas teaching, finding the right fit is everything. With this course, Jason and Launa bring their passion, experience, and expertise to the task of assisting others with the journey.” Dr. Andy Scott, Director of Program and Operations.
Why take this course?
- Fit is about identifying schools, communities, and cultures that are compatible with who you are as an individual and a professional. It is also about finding a school that will provide exciting challenges, growth, and rewards.
- Recruiters are looking for teachers who understand fit and are a good match for their schools. Central to this course, is unpacking the idea of fit.
- Understanding fit allows teachers to answer critical questions such as: If asked, would I be open to teaching any grade level within my certification? Will the ways I feel I contribute to a school community be valued? Am I ready for the day-to-day realities of living in a culture other than my own?
- This course brings to light the personal, professional, practical, and cultural realities of teaching and living overseas.
Why recruiters should consider this course as a prerequisite for hiring?
- Finding faculty who fit is everything. Fit is about identifying teachers who are compatible with your school, local community, and host country. Who is the teacher sitting before you and are they ready for the challenges that await them if you offer them a contract?
- This course provides a variety of learning experiences for teachers who are seeking their first international teaching position.
- Teachers will learn to conceptualize who they are as individuals and professionals and determine their own best fit in international teaching. They will also gain an understanding of international teaching, be better equipped to describe what they have to offer as professionals and individuals, and ultimately be able to make informed decisions about their fit within a school.
- Content may be customized to meet regional, corporate, and school needs.
- Finding fit is a mutual endeavour. This course provides teachers and recruiters with a common language for finding
What are the learning outcomes?
- understand the idea of fit with a focus on recognizing the variety of personal and professional decisions that can lead to a positive overseas teaching experience
- examine and deconstruct the way in which culture shapes an international experience. Specific attention will be given to the ideas of the culture teachers carry with them when they teach abroad, the various teaching cultures of international schools, and the challenges and opportunities involved in living and working in a foreign culture
- identify and explore various technology and the technological expectations in international schools
- explore the different curricular frameworks which include particular standards of practice pertaining to pedagogy, curriculum and assessment in international schools
- examine and reflect on personal preparedness to participate in the collaborative structures/expectations found in international schools
- identify and distinguish between professional learning expectations/opportunities, and teacher appraisal in international schools
- understand the stresses, emotions, and logistics associated with participating in any overseas hiring process. Specific attention will be given to the job fair experience, online recruitment, and navigating job contracts.